Zesty Tortellini Salad
Another great twist to a classic side dish..and perfect for these summer heatwaves we’ve been having! The tough part about this pairing is the zesty flavors. I love zesty, but zesty and wine often fight. However, a rounded California Zinfandel would be fruit forward enough to take on the challenge here.
1 cup very thinly sliced red onions (or Vidalias)
2 (9-ounce) packages cheese tortellini, cooked and drained*
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 ounces Genoa salami, sliced into thin strips
1/3 cup good-quality red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Soak red onions in a small bowl of ice water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
In a large bowl, combine the onions, cooked tortellini, bell pepper, and salami. Whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; toss with pasta until combined. Taste and season with additional vinegar, salt, and pepper if necessary. Stir in chopped parsley just before serving.
This recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance. Add chopped parsley and a few more splashes of red wine vinegar and olive oil before serving, to taste.
- Adventures in Eating: Eye-Opener Corn Bread
- The Woman of 1987 – The Cook’s Month Off!
- Domestic: Sauvignon Blanc, 1985, Sam J. Sebastini Winery
- Domestic Selection: Zinfandel, Vineyard Selection 1978, L. M. Martini
- Top 8 Mother’s Day Fine Wines for Under $12!
- Member Inquiry – Blush, Blanc, and Rose Wine Grapes
- Import Selection: Shiraz/Cabernet, 1984, Penfolds
- Domestic Selection: Semillon, 1985, Alderbrook
- Great Mother’s Day Gifts – A Wine Club Membership!
- Import Selection: Orvieto Classico, 1987; Bigi