Zesty Tortellini Salad
Another great twist to a classic side dish..and perfect for these summer heatwaves we’ve been having! The tough part about this pairing is the zesty flavors. I love zesty, but zesty and wine often fight. However, a rounded California Zinfandel would be fruit forward enough to take on the challenge here.
1 cup very thinly sliced red onions (or Vidalias)
2 (9-ounce) packages cheese tortellini, cooked and drained*
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 ounces Genoa salami, sliced into thin strips
1/3 cup good-quality red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
Squeeze of lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Soak red onions in a small bowl of ice water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
In a large bowl, combine the onions, cooked tortellini, bell pepper, and salami. Whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; toss with pasta until combined. Taste and season with additional vinegar, salt, and pepper if necessary. Stir in chopped parsley just before serving.
This recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance. Add chopped parsley and a few more splashes of red wine vinegar and olive oil before serving, to taste.
- Zinfandel, 1980. Burgess| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Bourgogne de Chapitre, 1980. Jaffelin| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Semillon Reserve, 1980. Ventana| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Saint Veran, 1978. Alexis Lichine | Vintage Wine History and Information
- Barbera, 1980. Montevina Amador County. Special Selection | Vintage Wine History and Information
- Colombard, 1981. Villa Baccala | Vintage Wine History and Information
- Amarone, 1974. Ruffino| Vintage Wine History and Information
- The Gourmet Food and Wine Show
- Recipe: Lettuce Package | Food and Wine Pairing
- Shiraz, 1979. Taltarni| Vintage Wine History and Information