Spaghetti with Lemon and Olive Oil
Such a simple recipe, but it is SO good. I was drooling with a growling stomach as I was reading the recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Even though I am lactose intolerant, I had to make this. I found that a little less cream and a bit more olive oil works great. This is definitely a recipe that can be adjusted to personal preferences. Your wine for this has to be an unoaked Chardonnay…Australian would be my choice!
1 pound spaghetti or linguine
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil , plus additional for serving
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup), plus additional for serving
Ground black pepper
Small handful fresh basil or arugula (what I used, deliciously, in a pinch) leaves, shredded
Cook linguine or spaghetti in well-salted water to your al dente tastes in a large, wide-bottomed pot. (You’ll have fewer dishes to wash if you use this pot to assemble the dish as well.)
While pasta is cooking, zest lemons until you have a little shy of a tablespoon of zest. Juice lemons — you’ll have anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice.
Drain pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups of pasta cooking water. Dry out your pot, then boil the olive oil, cream, zest and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water together for two minutes over high heat. Return pasta to pot and stir until coated. Add the cheese and 1/4 cup lemon juice and toss, toss, toss everything together. Add more pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, if you’d like your dish a little looser. Quickly taste a strand of pasta and see if you want to add the remaining lemon juice (we did). Stir in basil or arugula and season generously with salt and pepper
- Domestic Selection: Sauvignon Blanc, 1985, Sam J. Sebastiani Winery
- Adventures in Eating: Eye-Opener Corn Bread
- The Woman of 1987 – The Cook’s Month Off!
- Domestic: Sauvignon Blanc, 1985, Sam J. Sebastini Winery
- Domestic Selection: Zinfandel, Vineyard Selection 1978, L. M. Martini
- Top 8 Mother’s Day Fine Wines for Under $12!
- Member Inquiry – Blush, Blanc, and Rose Wine Grapes
- Import Selection: Shiraz/Cabernet, 1984, Penfolds
- Domestic Selection: Semillon, 1985, Alderbrook
- Great Mother’s Day Gifts – A Wine Club Membership!