Soy Marinated Tuna
4 3-oz. pieces sashimi-grade yellowfin or bluefin tuna
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. sake
2 tsp. mirin
4 cups cooked sushi rice
Thinly sliced pickled ginger, for garnish
Finely chopped nori (seaweed), for garnish
Thinly sliced shiso leaves, for garnish
Thinly sliced cooked omelet, for garnish
Wasabi paste, for serving
1. Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of water to a boil.
2. Working with 1 piece of tuna at a time, submerge tuna in water for 5 seconds.
3. Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer tuna to a bowl of ice water and chill for 10 seconds.
4. Remove and pat dry. Repeat with remaining tuna.
5. Place tuna in a plastic bag; add soy sauce, sake and mirin.
6. Seal; let tuna marinate, turning once, at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Import Selection: Chianti, 1990. Melini Borghi D’Elsa
- Adventures in Eating: Pecan Coffee Cake
- Domestic Selection: Fume Blanc, 1990. Haywood
- This Matter of California Wine Labels
- Adventures in Eating: The Best Wontons in the World
- Import Selection: Riesling, 1989. Roemische Weinstrasse
- Domestic Selection: Mourvedre, 1988. Francal
- This Matter of Table Wines
- Adventures in Eating: Minestrone Soup
- Import Selection: Cabernet Sauvignon, 1989. Villa Montes