Soy Marinated Tuna
4 3-oz. pieces sashimi-grade yellowfin or bluefin tuna
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. sake
2 tsp. mirin
4 cups cooked sushi rice
Thinly sliced pickled ginger, for garnish
Finely chopped nori (seaweed), for garnish
Thinly sliced shiso leaves, for garnish
Thinly sliced cooked omelet, for garnish
Wasabi paste, for serving
1. Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of water to a boil.
2. Working with 1 piece of tuna at a time, submerge tuna in water for 5 seconds.
3. Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer tuna to a bowl of ice water and chill for 10 seconds.
4. Remove and pat dry. Repeat with remaining tuna.
5. Place tuna in a plastic bag; add soy sauce, sake and mirin.
6. Seal; let tuna marinate, turning once, at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Import Selection: Chateau Chariot, 1988. Corbieres
- Domestic Selection: Chardonnay, 1989. White Oak
- The Matter of the French Paradox
- Adventures in Eating: California Caesar Salad
- Import Selection: Chateau Larroque, 1989. Bordeaux
- Domestic Selection: Charbono, 1979. Inglenook-Napa Valley
- A Note From The Cellarmaster
- Adventures in Eating: Fresh Raspberry Pie
- Import Selection: Cabernet Sauvignon, 1988. Los Vascos
- Domestic Selection: Muscat Canelli, 1990. Santino Winery