Recipe: Posset | Food and Wine Pairing
Adventures in Eating: Posset
Rosemarie | September 1983
If it’s September, Thanksgiving can’t be far away. What a glorious summer we have all experienced. A bit warm, but that’s what vacation time is all about. The fruit harvest, melons in particular, was extraordinary. I discovered a watermelon shaped melon with yellow and green stripes called a Christmas melon. Also a honeydew melon that had orange colored flesh. Both were sweet and delicious.
Let’s go to thinking about Thanksgiving. I’ll go easy on you, and propose you make an authentic Nova Scotia cold dessert souffle. It’s light and can be made the day before. You can even think about this in hot weather.
4 eggs separated (cold)
¼ cup + 2T sugar
¼ t salt
2 T dry sherry
1/3 cup white port
½ cup whipping cream, whipped
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 T grated lemon peel
¼ t nutmeg
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3 T dry sherry
Mix egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar, lemon peel, nutmeg, and salt in top of 2-quart double boiler. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally. Stir 2 tablespoons sherry and the gelatin in small saucepan over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Stir into lemon mixture; stir in port and 3 Tbl. of sherry. Fold whipped cream into lemon mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into lemon mixture. Pour into 2-quart glass bowl. Refrigerate 2 hrs. Sprinkle chopped pecans all around the edge of the souffle. Now wasn’t that quick and easy?
P.S. make sure your egg whites are at room temperature and your bowl and beater are dry. Do not overbeat.
P.S.S. Consider serving it with this month’s dessert wine selection.
- Import Selection: Chateau Chariot, 1988. Corbieres
- Domestic Selection: Chardonnay, 1989. White Oak
- The Matter of the French Paradox
- Adventures in Eating: California Caesar Salad
- Import Selection: Chateau Larroque, 1989. Bordeaux
- Domestic Selection: Charbono, 1979. Inglenook-Napa Valley
- A Note From The Cellarmaster
- Adventures in Eating: Fresh Raspberry Pie
- Import Selection: Cabernet Sauvignon, 1988. Los Vascos
- Domestic Selection: Muscat Canelli, 1990. Santino Winery