Recipe: Peg Maleys Reuben Bake | Food and Wine Pairing
Adventures in Eating: Peg Maleys Reuben Bake
by Rosemarie | February 1983
The big red N, the Corn Huskers, the broad fertile plains of the hearty mid-west; these all spell the great State of Nebraska.
Our eldest son, married a wonderful girl, (formerly Lynn Duling) from Lincoln, Nebraska. Christmas 1982, our whole family, spent Christmas with son Brent, his wife, our in-laws, and the warm and hospitable relatives. Even with its icy winter, we have adopted the State of Nebraska with all its mid-west American charm.
Aunt Peg invited us for dinner and served a most unusual casserole. She was kind enough to send it on to me to share with you in this column. I thought it very unusual, because it contained sauerkraut, yet it blended so well with the other ingredients that it was not identifiable. What quick and easy casserole to put together on one of those busy days.
PEG MALEYS REUBEN BAKE
1 pkg 6oz noodles ½” 1 T minced dill
cooked and drained pickle 1 t grated onion
2 T butter 2 cups shredded swiss cheese. 8oz.
1 can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained. ½ cup crashed rye
1 can or more corn beef 12oz crackers
2/3 cup mayonnaise 2 t caraway seeds
1 T catsup (optional)
2 T butter
Layer in a 7″ x 11″ pan:
1-Toss noodles with 2 T butter
2-Rinse sauerkraut in water, drain well and chop fine. Break corn beef into small pieces with hands and mix together with everything except crackers, caraway seed, and 2T butter.
3-Layer this mixture with the noodles.
4-Toss crushed rye crackers, caraway seeds and 2T butter and sprinkle on top.
5-Bake 35 minutes 350*. Serves 8 – 10.
- Import Selection: Chateau Chariot, 1988. Corbieres
- Domestic Selection: Chardonnay, 1989. White Oak
- The Matter of the French Paradox
- Adventures in Eating: California Caesar Salad
- Import Selection: Chateau Larroque, 1989. Bordeaux
- Domestic Selection: Charbono, 1979. Inglenook-Napa Valley
- A Note From The Cellarmaster
- Adventures in Eating: Fresh Raspberry Pie
- Import Selection: Cabernet Sauvignon, 1988. Los Vascos
- Domestic Selection: Muscat Canelli, 1990. Santino Winery