Portobello Prosciutto Burgers
How fantastic does this sound? My mouth is watering as I write this pairing…as soon as I saw they soaked the portobello in red wine I was hooked! The salty prosciutto and the depth of the mushroom are sending me towards a Sicilian Nero D’Avola.
This is a knockout.
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 16 whole Basil Leaves
- 8 whole Large Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 cup Red Wine (optional)
- Olive Oil For Brushing
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- 4 whole Kaiser Rolls, Split
- Extra Basil Leaves
Rinse mushrooms thoroughly. Soak in red wine for 20 to 30 minutes (this is totally optional!)
Combine mayonnaise and basil in a food processor or blender. Pulse until basil is totally mixed in with the mayonnaise. Set aside.
Grill mushrooms in a grill pan or on a charcoal grill, brushing lightly with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper. Melt provolone cheese over the four largest mushrooms. Remove mushrooms from grill and stack the other four mushrooms on top of the cheese-topped mushrooms.
Drizzle griddle with olive oil. Toast kaiser rolls over medium-low heat until very crispy and toasted.
Spread basil mayonnaise generously on both the top and bottom halves of the kaiser roll. Place the double-decker mushroom on the bottom half, then place the prosciutto slice on top. Finally, top with basil leaves and the other half of the roll. Press lightly so some of the juices from the mushrooms will run into the bottom half of the roll.
- About Wine-Pedia
- Wine of the Month Club | Count Dracula’s Wine? What a great story and interview
- Morgan Norman at Wine of the Month Club
- Wine of the Month Club – Interview with Morgan Twain-Peterson
- Wine of the Month Club | Champagne and Wine Gadgets….KUSI San Diego
- Wine of the Month Club | Cocoa Vino
- Wine of the Month Club| Interview with Adam LaZarre
- Wine of the Month Club | Sediment
- Mom’s Light Supper Sandwich
- Wine of the Month Club ALS Ice Bucket Challenge