Portobello Prosciutto Burgers
How fantastic does this sound? My mouth is watering as I write this pairing…as soon as I saw they soaked the portobello in red wine I was hooked! The salty prosciutto and the depth of the mushroom are sending me towards a Sicilian Nero D’Avola.
This is a knockout.
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 16 whole Basil Leaves
- 8 whole Large Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 cup Red Wine (optional)
- Olive Oil For Brushing
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- 4 whole Kaiser Rolls, Split
- Extra Basil Leaves
Rinse mushrooms thoroughly. Soak in red wine for 20 to 30 minutes (this is totally optional!)
Combine mayonnaise and basil in a food processor or blender. Pulse until basil is totally mixed in with the mayonnaise. Set aside.
Grill mushrooms in a grill pan or on a charcoal grill, brushing lightly with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper. Melt provolone cheese over the four largest mushrooms. Remove mushrooms from grill and stack the other four mushrooms on top of the cheese-topped mushrooms.
Drizzle griddle with olive oil. Toast kaiser rolls over medium-low heat until very crispy and toasted.
Spread basil mayonnaise generously on both the top and bottom halves of the kaiser roll. Place the double-decker mushroom on the bottom half, then place the prosciutto slice on top. Finally, top with basil leaves and the other half of the roll. Press lightly so some of the juices from the mushrooms will run into the bottom half of the roll.
- Chardonnay, 1982. Coastal Wines Ltd.| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Cabernet Sauvignon, 1980. Topolos At Russian River Vineyards| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Chateau Giscours, 1977. Margaux| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano, 1981. Ilraccianello | Vintage Wine History and Information
- Chardonnay, 1982. Santa Ynez Valley Winery| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Viña Monty, 1975. Bodegas Montecillo| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Zinfandel, 1980. Burgess| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Bourgogne de Chapitre, 1980. Jaffelin| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Semillon Reserve, 1980. Ventana| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Saint Veran, 1978. Alexis Lichine | Vintage Wine History and Information