Moroccan Chicken with Lemon and Olives
Mrs. K and I made this dish (sans preserved lemons) and it was great. We got to try out our new tagine! With this dinner, I went with a Gewurztraminer…off-dry with lots of spice.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken, 3-4 lbs, cut into 8 pieces (or 3-4 lbs of just chicken thighs and legs, the dark meat is more flavorful)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- The rind from 1 preserved lemon, rinsed in cold water, pulp discarded, rind cut into thin strips (if you don’t have preserved lemon, use whole thin slices of regular lemon)
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Combine all the spices in a large bowl. Pat dry the chicken pieces and put in the bowl, coat well with the spice mixture. Let the chicken stand for one hour in the spices.
2 If you are using a clay tagine (if you have one, you must soak the bottom in water overnight before using), place it on a heat diffuser on the heating element to prevent the tagine from cracking, and place the olive oil in the tagine and heat it on medium heat. If you do not have a tagine, you can use a thick-bottomed, large skillet with a cover. Heat the oil in the skillet on medium high heat. In either case, sprinkle the chicken pieces very lightly with salt (go easy on the salt, the olives and preserved lemons are salty) and place skin side down in the tagine or skillet for 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Lower the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and onions over the chicken. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
3 Turn chicken pieces over. Add the lemon slices, olives, raisins, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer on medium heat, then lower the heat to low, cover, and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and quite tender.
4 Mix in fresh parsley and cilantro right before serving. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Serve with couscous, rice, or rice pilaf.
- Chardonnay, 1982. Coastal Wines Ltd.| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Cabernet Sauvignon, 1980. Topolos At Russian River Vineyards| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Chateau Giscours, 1977. Margaux| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano, 1981. Ilraccianello | Vintage Wine History and Information
- Chardonnay, 1982. Santa Ynez Valley Winery| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Viña Monty, 1975. Bodegas Montecillo| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Zinfandel, 1980. Burgess| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Bourgogne de Chapitre, 1980. Jaffelin| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Semillon Reserve, 1980. Ventana| Vintage Wine History and Information
- Saint Veran, 1978. Alexis Lichine | Vintage Wine History and Information