Grilled Panzanella Salad
This is the perfect dish for summertime BBQs. As soon as I saw this I was intrigued. It reminds me of an American twist on a middle eastern salad called Fatoush. For this, I would go with a Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc. More herbs than a New Zealand or Chilean version.
Try it out and let us know what you think.
- 2 large Yellow Bell Pepper, cut into 1-2 inch strips
- 2 large Red Bell Pepper, cut into 1-2 inch strips
- 1 Red Onion, sliced into 1/3 inch rounds
- Scallions, ends discarded
- 1 large Zucchini, cut into 1/3 inch rounds
- Olive Oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 French Baguette, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 – 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 1 tbsl dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare your grill to medium heat.
- Brush all of the vegetables with the olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables until they are just slightly charred. About 3-4 minutes per side for the peppers and onions, 1-2 minutes for the scallions and 2-3 minutes for the zucchini. Remove the vegetables from the grill and set them aside. Once the vegetables are cooled, cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Brush the baguette with the melted butter and season it with salt and pepper. Place the bread cubes on the grill and let them grill for 1-2 minutes per side until they are nice and golden brown with grill marks. Remove the bread from the grill and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
- When you’re ready to serve the salad. Toss all the vegetables and bread together in a large bowl. Drizzle with some of the vinaigrette and taste. Add more vinaigrette if needed. Serve immediately.
- Adventures in Eating: Eye-Opener Corn Bread
- The Woman of 1987 – The Cook’s Month Off!
- Domestic: Sauvignon Blanc, 1985, Sam J. Sebastini Winery
- Domestic Selection: Zinfandel, Vineyard Selection 1978, L. M. Martini
- Top 8 Mother’s Day Fine Wines for Under $12!
- Member Inquiry – Blush, Blanc, and Rose Wine Grapes
- Import Selection: Shiraz/Cabernet, 1984, Penfolds
- Domestic Selection: Semillon, 1985, Alderbrook
- Great Mother’s Day Gifts – A Wine Club Membership!
- Import Selection: Orvieto Classico, 1987; Bigi