Carrot and Parmesan Risotto
Risotto is one of the ultimate comfort foods for me…especially with a great glass of wine. Here, we have an opportunity to take a weighty food and pair it with a weighty wine. The sweet in the carrot will do well with the tropical character of a Viognier. YUM.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 7 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp mascarpone
- 1/3 cup chives
- coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a marge heavy bottom pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the shredded carrots and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the arborio rice and stir to coat the rice with the butter. Cook the rice for about 2 minutes until the outer edges of the rice are translucent and the middle still white. Pour in the white wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine has evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of the chicken stock and cook until the stock has evaporated. Repeat this step a few times until you’ve used all of the stock. The rice should look almost like a porridge and have just a slight bit of a bite when tasted.
- Add Parmesan cheese, mascarpone cheese and chives and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Domestic: Sauvignon Blanc, 1985, Sam J. Sebastini Winery
- Domestic Selection: Zinfandel, Vineyard Selection 1978, L. M. Martini
- Top 8 Mother’s Day Fine Wines for Under $12!
- Member Inquiry – Blush, Blanc, and Rose Wine Grapes
- Import Selection: Shiraz/Cabernet, 1984, Penfolds
- Domestic Selection: Semillon, 1985, Alderbrook
- Great Mother’s Day Gifts – A Wine Club Membership!
- Import Selection: Orvieto Classico, 1987; Bigi
- Domestic Selection: Petite Sirah Nouveau, 1988; Cilurzo
- Import Selection: Shiraz – Bin 50, 1985; Lindemans