Adventures in Eating: California Caesar Salad
I think I have told you that I am happiest in my kitchen. I am. It is true. But there is something about a hot summer day that seems to sap my energy. I’d rather be any place but the kitchen when the temperature outdoors starts to soar. The thought of turning on my oven on a hot summer day is very unappealing and I am not particularly fond of what is available for the microwave oven. The option of dining out sounds great if someone would baby sit my two children! Hmm…. What is left? Barbecuing! It’s fun, easy and doesn’t make me hostage to a hot kitchen.
This recipe combines two of my most favorite things to eat. Grilled chicken and Caesar Salad. I call it “California Caesar Salad,” my friends call it “outrageously good!”
For Grilled Chicken:
2 chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
Place chicken in a baking dish or bowl. Rub chicken with garlic. Pour olive oil and lemon juice over chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Grill on a barbeque until done. Cool and then cut into strips.
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 dashes Tabasco
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons worcestershire
1 cup olive oil
3/4 cup fine quality parmesan cheese, grated
1 large bunch romaine lettuce (outer leaves removed) washed and torn into pieces.
1 medium avocado, pitted and chopped
4 roman tomatoes, chopped
In a bowl, place garlic and mash all around. Add lemon juice, Tabasco, mustard and worcestshire and whisk. With one hand whisk lemon and garlic mixture while pouring in olive oil. Add parmesan cheese, romaine, grilled chicken strips, avocado and tomatoes. Toss well.
- Domestic Selection: Fume Blanc, 1990. Haywood
- This Matter of California Wine Labels
- Adventures in Eating: The Best Wontons in the World
- Import Selection: Riesling, 1989. Roemische Weinstrasse
- Domestic Selection: Mourvedre, 1988. Francal
- This Matter of Table Wines
- Adventures in Eating: Minestrone Soup
- Import Selection: Cabernet Sauvignon, 1989. Villa Montes
- Domestic Selection: Chardonnay, 1989. Plume Ridge
- This Matter of Vintage Charts